Wednesday, October 19, 2016

10/12-10/18

Our general meeting time on Wednesday was a lecture with Professor Agarwal about technical writing and the final report. With the lecture, I do not think I learned anything particularly new, however it was helpful to review specific details in writing. A simple example would be the guidelines on writing a number or using the numeric value. Generally it is not an issue, but it can help the writing flow better when done properly.

Over the course of the week, we have been working on the CAD design and FEA. So far, it appears that bracketing the upper and lower tracks on the corners could be redundant. We have decided for now that it is unnecessary but I will be looking into again when we build our rapid prototype. I do agree with my team's analysis and choice to move on. I just believe we had some reason for it in the first place. I expect that when we build our rapid prototype we will quickly find that computer analytics was correct, however I would like to double check as long as time  allows it.

I talked with the fabrication team. The more complicated bends that we are asking for should be feasible according to them. The fabrication team is planning to construct a press and dye type of machine to shape the aluminum. From what I got from them in our conversation, that is their goal, however simpler methods may need to employed.

I also talked with the mechanical bogie team and positioning to see how we want to implement sensors onto the bogie and onto the track. The space between the track and bogie is very limited and the positioning team wants to insert corrugated steel into the track. At first we looked at how we could fit all the sensors on a certain part of the bogie and work within very limited tolerances. Then realized we have some additional places the sensor could be placed on the bogie allowing for more tolerances. I briefly presented the idea of making the track wider, but everyone involved, including myself, did not like that idea because the amount of work it would require from everyone would be overwhelming.

No comments:

Post a Comment