Wednesday, February 8, 2017

2/1-2/7

February 1st was our first class of the semester. During the class, we had a guest speaker that gave me some better perspective on the project as a whole. We met as group and made a number of decisions that we had been discussing over break. After announcements, I grabbed a white board and created a to-do list in order for our 1/12th scale track to be completed. I gave Franklin the contact info and invoice for purchasing our stock aluminum. We decided to go with 6061 T65 aluminum over 5052 because I was unable to find any conclusive studies on one material retaining shape over the other. I was able to find. I was able to find that 5052 is a softer material, however, based on prices posted on McMaster-Carr, 6061 was found to be significantly cheaper. 6061 was also a lot easier to source and we ended up purchasing it from Coastal Aluminum.

I spoke with Kevin and we expect that once we have the materials, bending them to our needed shapes will be rather quick. We expect the materials to arrive on February 8th. In the meantime, Jez and I have signed up for TIG welding classes at the TechShop. Originally we planned to take the class this weekend, but it filled up while we were in process of obtaining membership, so will be attending the class next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment